A Performance Fitness personal trainer is a fitness professional involved in exercise prescription and instruction. They motivate clients by setting goals and providing feedback and accountability to clients. Trainers also measure their client’s strengths and weaknesses with fitness assessments. These fitness assessments may also be performed before and after an exercise programme to measure their client’s improvements in physical fitness.
They may also educate their clients in many other aspects of wellness besides exercise, including general health and nutrition guidelines. The scope of practice for a personal trainer is to enhance the components of fitness for the general, healthy population.
Proper exercise prescription results in improved body composition, physical performance, heart condition and health outcomes. The decision to hire a personal trainer is normally to improve the ability to facilitate these factors through proper prescription and instruction or factors related to motivation and adherence.
HOW TO KEEP IN SHAPE!
If you want to lose fat or change your body shape, one of the most important things you can do is lift weights. Diet and cardio are equally important, but when it comes to changing how your body looks, weight training wins hands down. If you’ve hesitated to start a strength training program, lifting weights can:
- Help raise your metabolism. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you’ll burn all day long
- Help you lose fat and weight
- Strengthen bones, especially important for women
- Make you stronger and increases muscular endurance without bulk
- Help you avoid injuries – back pain and arthritis
- Reduce risk of heart disease and diabetes
- Increase your confidence and self-esteem
- Improve co-ordination and balance
- Make you look and feel good!
Getting started with strength training and losing weight can be confusing – what exercises should you do? How many sets and reps? How much weight? The routine you choose will be based on your fitness goals as well as the equipment we have available and the time you have for workouts. The first step is to ensure that you get the most out of your sessions at the gym! Get one of our personal trainers to help you with:
- A discussion on what you want to achieve and timescales.
- Assessment of your general physical condition – BMI, Aerobic tests etc.
- A written programme of exercise for you to follow at your gym sessions.
- Advice/instruction on correct use of equipment and weights – very important!
- The value of different types of exercise and how they work.
- Help with your workouts by being with you and motivating and helping you.
- Guidance on diet and a nutritional plan for you to follow, if required.
- Regular assessments to ensure you are making progress.
Our Personal Trainers are fully qualified and have a wealth of knowledge and experience. They can ensure that you meet your goals much more quickly
A personal trainer will pay close attention to their client’s exercise form, workout routine, and nutrition plan. They will ensure that a client is using equipment in the correct way to obtain maximum benefit from a workout session and provide on-going advice and guidance.
Personal training results in higher strength, higher workout intensities, and higher perceived exertion during exercise sessions. Specific individual fitness/exercise programmes are provided for both men and women taking into account individual client objectives.
The results obtained from personal training are frequently very rapid and often over a few weeks can be remarkable!
Personal Trainers are usually members of the Register of Exercise Professional (REPS) and will therefore have studied and passed exams on Health and Fitness. Some Personal Trainers nowadays, will even have taken 3 year degree courses in Health and Fitness Management or Sports Science. Also, Personal Trainers may specialise in certain areas of fitness and exercise. Some will be more oriented to Gym routines others more toward classes in a studio and others may have specialist areas of skills, for example Exercise Referral.
HAVE A SESSION WITH ONE OF OUR PERSONAL TRAINERS AND FIND OUT JUST HOW MUCH THEY CAN HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS OBJECTIVES